Home icon            About Icon            Contact icon            Nails icon            Styleicon            Food icon            Life icon

 bloglovin icon    twittericon    pinteresticon   Click to email me    Feed burned icon

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

February 26, 2013

Midweek Mani & Ebay Sniping 101

       I can't believe March is only a few days away! With March comes the spring so I'm squeezing in my winter polish colors while we are in season.  


       This gorgeous frosty shimmer is Julep's "Emma," described as a seashell golden pink shimmer. It really does remind me of the inside of a seashell :)  Because it is a sheer polish, I layered two coats of Emma over one coat of Helen (Julep).  For a beautiful gloss I topped it off with the Freedom Polymer Top Coat (also Julep - can you tell I'm a big fan?).  I have to admit that the drying time on this one is not so quick and I did manage to get a few nicks and dings on my other hand.










       I actually bought this polish on Ebay and scored this for a pretty decent deal of $5.00 (retails for $14.00 or $11.20 for Maven subscribers) but let me tell you - it was a STRUGGLE! It gets really competitive and especially difficult if you are dealing with sniping.  Don't know what sniping is? I didn't either. 

According to Wikipedia:

     "Auction sniping is the practice, in a timed online auction, of placing a higher bid than the current highest public bid at the last possible moment (often seconds before the end of the auction), giving the other bidders no time to outbid the sniper."

     It doesn't sound fair to me but Ebay openly allows it.  There is a way to find out if a particular auction involves a sniper.  On the listing, click on the bids




Click on "Show Automatic Bids" in the upper right hand corner



Once you open the automatic bids page, scroll down to the bottom. It explains that "Gray text indicates an automatic bid (proxy bid) placed by eBay on behalf of the bidder. "





       And there you are, SEVEN different snipers involved in this one auction.  If you aren't using sniping software, chances are you have no chances!  

6 comments:

  1. I never knew it was called sniping, but I have seen this done before and learned my lesson. If I'm bidding on something, I will usually refresh over and over on the listing until it ends. Just to be safe from those snipers!

    I love that color! It is very frosty and does look like the inside of a seashell. :)

    toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been hearing all about these Julep polishes! I definitely need to try it.

    And I love Ebay, but I never knew you could check for sniping! Thanks so much for the info!

    Kaitlin
    teaandsequin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty nails! Great blog you have here. I'm your newest follower :) Would you mind checking out our blog & following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? Looking forward to your next post! xx

    sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your ring so much :)

    Have a nice day :D
    The Spotted Cherry Pie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that color Kali. I had know idea about sniping that is so lame.

    www.nightshayde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love ebay! I never even knew about snipers! Eek!

    ReplyDelete

Hiiii there, thanks for visiting my blog.

I'd love to hear what you have to say so don't hesitate to drop a comment.

If you are following me via gfc let me know so I can follow back!

<3
Kali

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...