Home icon            About Icon            Contact icon            Nails icon            Styleicon            Food icon            Life icon

 bloglovin icon    twittericon    pinteresticon   Click to email me    Feed burned icon

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

May 15, 2013

What You Need to Know About Parabens



Good Morning Ladies!  We are almost through the week so let's keep pushing.  

Yeah, right. I barely had the strength to make coffee this morning and I'm a total zombie right now. 
Moving on...

The celebrity 'hot topic' of the moment is Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy:

 "My doctors estimated that I had an 87% risk of breast cancer. Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much as I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy."

Breast cancer runs in my family and I also face the reality that I have a good chance of developing it. While I wouldn't go to the measures Angelina did (and I'm not judging her decision) there are ways I can protect myself now to reduce my chances in the future.  

One of the ways I choose to protect myself is to transition into a paraben-free lifestyle.


What You Need To Know About Parabens

1.  Parabens are synthetic chemicals commonly used by the cosmetic & pharmaceutical industries to preserve the shelf life of products.

2.  What kinds of products contain parabens? Shampoos, moisturizers, hand and body soaps, facial masks, deodorant, sunscreen, shaving gels, personal lubricants, make up, toothpaste, perfumes/colognes, etc.  

3.  The most common forms of parabens found in these products are are methlyparaben, propylparaben and butylparaben.

4. Scientific research has found that parabens are associated with occurrences of breast cancer. Parabens have been found breast cancer tumors, yet cosmetic companies continue to deny that parabens are absorbed into our bodies through our skin.  

5. Parabens also mimic estrogen and are a contributing factor of the increasing prevalence of early puberty among girls.

6.  Cosmetic and pharmaceutical companies can use alternative preservatives but insist on using parabens because they are easier to obtain and less expensive to process.

7.  Opting for Paraben free products is especially important for those who have a family history of breast cancer. 

8.  Many companies are now offering paraben-free products, such as Neutrogena Naturals, Tom's of Maine and Burt's Bees.

Be safe.

3 comments:

  1. :( sadness. Kali don't ever get boob cancer please. Cancer runs in mine too but mostly skin cancer... Freaking Irish skin. Good to know this stuff I had no clue. Checking everything from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, new follower!!!!
    Thank you for stopping by!
    Come back tonight after 7pm eastern time and link up on our link up party. It includes a giveaway every week!
    http://deezydoesiteezy.blogspot.com/
    xx xo,
    Deezy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Kali.. I had no idea that parabens caused cancer as well.

    ReplyDelete

Hiiii there, thanks for visiting my blog.

I'd love to hear what you have to say so don't hesitate to drop a comment.

If you are following me via gfc let me know so I can follow back!

<3
Kali

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...